The best I can tell, some folk about ten to fifteen years ago or so designated the month of May as National Masturbation Month to focus attention on American attitudes toward personal sexuality. Over the years more and more sex-positive groups and organizations have responded, celebrate and commemorate. I have to admit, a few years ago, I just dismissed the whole thing as another way to grandstand sexuality in the undignified public way that it’s always been.
Sophisticated persons masturbate without compunction. They do it for reasons of health, privacy, thrift and because of the remarkable perfection of invisible partners. P. J. O’Rourke
National Masturbation Month has its own role to play in the recovery of male sexuality. For those who observe, a month of reconsideration of personal sexuality is enlightening to the fact that where solo sex fits in our lives is largely representative of how comfortable we are with our sexuality altogether.
Every guy comes to masturbation from one of many perspectives. He might feel complete comfort and that masturbation is an important piece of his overall sexuality. Many guys approach masturbation as an occasional relief when other sex isn’t available. For a variety of reasons some guys practice complete abstinence. Still others contend with an embattled relationship with the whole topic of masturbation. You might have yet another perspective.
I’m celebrating National Masturbation Month this year because I believe that the sexual relationship with ourselves will be the longest sexual relationship any of us will have. Our collective attitude toward masturbation will continue to be evidence of how we all sexually feel about ourselves. I’m hoping we’ll all continue to feel better.
Here are my thirteen ways you could commemorate National Masturbation Month. Maybe you can think of another thirteen. Cheers!
- Discuss your personal views of masturbation, desires and practices with your lover;
- Though it’s a solo act, masturbate with someone you trust;
- Attend a masturbate-a-thon in your area;
- Read a sex-positive book on sexuality;
- Read an erotic novel;
- Try a new masturbation technique;
- Record the amount of time you masturbate in one month;
- Discuss some of your personal sexual views with a trusted friend;
- Buy your teenage son a bottle of lube and a box of tissues;
- Give your lover a new vibrator;
- Consider replacing sexually demeaning humor with classier sexual humor;
- Support legislation that is sex-positive and in line with your views;
- Dialog in public forums, religious groups and in the work place in support of a sexually dignified society.